Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Celebration

This is the first time that I can ever remember celebrating my grandfather's birthday.  He wasn't much for drawing attention to himself.  Anytime he was in the hospital, no one was allowed to visit  When he accepted the Lord into his life 12 years ago, he asked the pastor to please go ahead and baptize him after church so that he wouldn't have to do it in front of a lot of people.  I believe that it was possibly out of not wanting to feel or be shown as vulnerable.  Once upon a time, my mom described him as a hard man to love due to this strong characteristic, but for me, I rather enjoyed pushing myself on him, almost forcing him to show the affection I knew he was capable of but rarely gave.  I remember sitting beside him on his porch swing one afternoon, reaching over to hold his hand and smiling to myself as he complied.  He had a gruff exterior but underneath that was a heart that had compassion, care, concern and love.  His way of showing it often came out offensively and sometimes hurtful for it was very direct and blunt, but if you could look past his words and see his heart, you would know that it was out of love that he shared his strong opinions.  He would have been 67 today had he not gone to be with the Lord late last year, but his legacy lives on in the faces of his children and grandchildren.  The memory of him lives on in each of the stories shared at today's gathering.  His gentle side lives on in his beautiful wife, my granny, and though he was deeply missed at our celebration for his life today, we can carry on with joy knowing he is enjoying the greatest celebration of all with our Lord.  To my Grandfather, my name sake, Riley Deems Smith.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment