Friday, July 8, 2011

He knows my pain

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:39


During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered Hebrews 5:7-8


I often pictured Christ as a "Yes" man.  Whatever the Father told him to do, his answer was always, "Yes" and nothing more.  It was very hard for me to relate to a man like that... imulate a man like that.  So often, when the Lord tells me to do something, change something, or stop doing something, I kick and scream and cry and pout.  Rarely my first response is a happy "Yes Lord, I will."  So, needless to say, when I came across the above verses, I was extremely comforted and a bit shocked.  Who knew that the perfect son of God struggled with what the Father commanded for his life.  There Jesus was, laying on the ground, crying out to the Lord, asking him to not make him go through what he knew he would have to go through.  He honestly did not want to be hung upon a cross as though he were a criminal.  He did not want to feel the darkness of the situation, did not want to feel alone, and did not want to walk through the valley and thus, he begged His Father to let it pass over Him...just like me. :-)  


Don't worry, I have not forgotten the most important part of these scriptures.  I have not failed to notice the evidence of the true heart of Christ that is revealed at the tail end of these verses.  Although he may not have WANTED to do what God the Father had asked of him, he DID do it because he wanted the Lord's will to be done through his obedience more than he wanted what he wanted.  That is what I should cling to more than anything.  I like having the knowledge that Christ struggled (it makes me feel less alone) but I love having the knowledge that he felt secure in the Lord's plans over his own.  He trusted that the Father knew what he was doing and was obedient to his will and because he did so, he saved the world.  WOW!  What an amazing thing to be able to say.  In my obedience to my Abba's plans, the world will not be saved from an eternal Hell, (Christ already took care of that) but certainly, amazing things are going to happen.  The Lord has proven time and time again, in my people's lives and situations, that obedience to him makes a world of difference.  He always knows best and will always pull me/you through.  


Suffering teaches obedience
Obedience shows love
Love brings healing   

1 comment: