Saturday, March 31, 2012

Step Moms

Jocelyn, my five year old, asked me last week if her and I could go out on "a date", just her and me. Of course, I was thrilled at the suggestion and began to make arrangements in our schedule to accomendate. A fairy tale movie adventure pricked our hearts, thus leading us to the theater on this Saturday evening to escape into Mirror, Mirror, a twist on Grimms telling of Snow White.

It went as many a fairy tale goes; a princess taken hostage by her evil step mother due to the death of both mother and father later to be rescued by the handsome, brave, valient prince. It was a thrilling and humorous tale and enjoyed greatly by my daughter and myself...but it left me wondering, "Why are step mothers always depicted as "evil". "

I have the great privilage of being a step mother and have sought the Lord earnestly on how best to be in this role. Some say that being a mom is the hardest job given to a woman but I will honestly admit that being a step mom is even harder. You are handed this precious child to love and cherish as your own (a thing that takes lots of prayer and petition), knowing that in return, you will never quite receive that same amount of love in return, and rightfully so. [May I just add here that I also have the privilage of a great friendship with Mack's mom. She is an amazing woman and mother and I am very honored that she finds me worthy to help raise her son.] He or she will always love their own mother much more than you. If in a crowded room, with their mom on one side and you on the other, without your spouse (the child's other biological parent), the child will always go to the one who gave birth to him, first. It is a very tough postition but when he does choose to catch your eye with a smile and wave, it is a heart melting thing.

While it is the toughest job in my life, I absolutely love it and I'll admit, Mack is one of a kind and the son I've always dreamed of. I hate the word "step" and rarely use it when speaking of my relation with Mack. The Lord has taught me so much through and because of him and I wouldn't change what we are for anything in the world. It took some time but our relationship with one another has flourished into something very beautiful and I fail to see myself as the "evil step mother" through his eyes. He readily hugs on me and tells me he loves me on a daily basis. My prayer is that he always will.

So, I write for all the step parents, who have sought for a healthy relationship with their step children and say, "May the Lord bless your selflessness. You are noticed and appreciated for all your efforts and not the "evil one" the movies, and sometimes society, think you are." No, it is not the ideal situation for child or parent but with God's help, it can be used for His good and glory.

Thank you Mack and Kim, for making my position much easier than most have ability to say. Our story is one that SHOULD be in the fairy tale books.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post. Thank you for loving Mack as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My former stepson's mother asked me one day if I would take care of her son if anything happened to her. I shushed her and said, "Nothing is ever going to happen!" but she insisted on knowing that I would welcome her Jordan into our lives. Well, my marriage with Jordan's dad fell apart quickly, he was fired for having an affair with one of his secretaries and asked for a divorce. Jordan's mom was a huge source of encouragement to me - having been there herself and having watched the same scene play out many times before. Six weeks later... she died from complications from a c-section. My heart broke that there was no way for me to gain custody of Jordan. I wasn't emotionally or financially in a place where I could take on a grieving little boy. My greatest regret is not that I couldn't make that marriage work - that was out of my hands - but I so deeply regret losing the relationship with Jordan and his big brother.

    ReplyDelete