Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Forgive as I have been forgiven

taken from John 8: 1-11...translation my own

"Her arms grabbed at fabric to best conceal her naked body as the men brought her into the street.  Shouting out to the towns people that they had an adultress caught in the act.  A crowd gathered and began picking up the largest stones they could find.  Forming a circle to commense the beating, they threw her at Jesus's feet.  Lying in the dirt, head down, heart pounding, body shaking in fear, she knew what she deserved and did not put up a fight. 

Ever so calmly, Jesus knelt down to her level and began to write in the sand.  All those around just stood in silence, waiting to see what the man, who claimed to be the son of God, would do.  Their law said they were completely justified in hurling bolders at her until one cracked her skull causing death, but then He spoke. "You who are without sin cast the first stone."  Perplexed and bewildered, the crowd was taken a back.  Their sins crept into their memory as the rocks in their hands grew heavy and eventually slipped out of their fingers.  With guilt weighing heavily on their shoulders, they dispersed and left Jesus alone with the woman.

She had not realized she was holding her breath until it escaped her body in a loud huff.  The loud ringing in her ears grew silent as she found the strength to look into the eyes of the man that just saved her life.  "Does no one condemn you?"  Tears rolling down her dirty checks, she replied, "No one, sir." "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declares. "Go now and leave your life of sin."  Taking her hand, he pulled her to her feet and pointed her in the dirction she should go."

I have been where the crowd stood on many occasions; only the one thrown in front of Jesus had commited the sin against me.  I was not just an on looker of a sinner, ready to judge.  I was beaten and wounded by the one at His feet waiting on His judgement.  Unfortunately, even with Jesus's strong words hanging in the air, my stone was hurled with a mighty and ugly force.  And Christ would just look at me and repeat them again, "Joy! Are you without sin? Can you justly throw that stone?"  My case, I would argue, my bruises I would show, and my fear I would spill out...and often I still do.  But somehow my Abba allows me to see myself as the woman, guilty as charged and begins to soften my heart towards my offender, showing me I am no different than they, but am given mercy and grace everytime I fall short.  Such love he has for me to continue to want to mold me, not leaving me as I am, so that I too can forgive as I have been forgiven.

1 comment: